Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet


Title: Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet
Author: Kashmira Sheth
Pages: 243
Time took to read: 4 days
Cover Rating: 4/5
Plot Rating: 3/5
Character Rating: 3/5
Plot Rating: 3/5
Overall Rating: 3/5

I liked this book, but I must admit, I had higher hopes for it. I really like to read about different cultures, especially the Indian culture. So I really liked the setting. The plot was pretty good. I also really liked the main character Jeeta. So what's not to like???? I did not like the open ending. It really never had a conclusion, which I don't mind sometimes, but I did not like it in this book. I did like however how the author made you at first not like the mother, and then she kind of grew on you.... All in all, I liked it, but it was not my favorite. I do recommend it, just not as highly as I do some.

Plot:

Jeeta's family is caught up in the whirlwind of arranging marriages for her two older sisters, but the drama and excitement leave Jeeta cold. She knows that tradition demands the parade of suitors, the marriage negotiations, the elaborate displays, the expensive wedding parties - but where is the love and romance that the movies promise? She dreads her turn on the matrimonial circuit, especially since Mummy is always complaining about how difficult it will be to find Jeeta a good husband, with her dark skin and sharp tongue. As Jeeta spends more time with her new friend from school, Sarina, and her educated, liberal parents, she begins to question her tradition-bound family's expectations. And when she falls in love with Sarina's cousin Neel, Jeeta realizes that she must strike a balance between independence and duty and follow her own path.

1 comments:

Bostan said...

sounds good

Post a Comment